Sunday 29 March 2015

Being a Part of History

When I first heard that Mr Lee Kuan Yew has passed on, it was via a group chat - my friends were getting annoyed that they had to postpone their event and earning lesser commission because of the week long mourning. And it made my heart heavier than it already was. We can't time death and we should be respectful of the dead. Thus I was disappointed at how many people are thinking that way. 

Anyways, on the first day of the public wake, J and I went to queue to pay our last respect during lunch. Little did we know that we had to queue about 5 hours and had a bad sun-burn but we were really glad that we did it. And we would like to thank the nice people who gave out cold drinks and water to quench our thirst! :D 

The queue started extending to Fort Canning.

For me, the week long mourning brought about new insights on Mr Lee's life and Singapore's history. And I really hope that we can always be grateful for what we have and have lesser complains. And most importantly, strive to be a better nation together. 

To end off this post, here's what I would love to say to Mr Lee:
Sir,
Thank you for having a vision so great.
Thank you for your endless contribution and love to the nation.
Thank you for standing strong for Singapore despite many setbacks. 
Thank you for transforming the country from 3rd world to 1st world.
Thank you for building such a strong international platform for us.
Thank you for all the work that you and your people have done to create such a beautiful country.
Thank you for creating a nation for us and future generations.
Thank you for touching me with your love story and aspiring me to have a love like yours.  
We are sadden by your departure but we take solace that you are in a better place right now with your wife.  
RIP Sir! 

Last but not least, I am proud to be a Singaporean and part of a unique culture :) 
I ♥ my country! 

PetiteFreckles ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment